[HOT] The Economist Title to Come July 16th

Laura O'Grady laura at lauraogrady.ca
Thu Jul 21 00:36:53 UTC 2016

This is the link to the article:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21702175-property-rights-are-still-wretchedly-insecure-africa-title-come

From what I understanding surveying is much more precise than mapping from sat imagery. I believe what we're doing is referred to as topological editing or digitizing and is generally considered to fall within the domain of GIS. The two fields are now starting to crossing over in what is known as geomatics.

If there's precedent for land surveyed data then HOT mapping might not be considered to be accurate enough.

Some data is always better than no data in my opinion. As you noted it would be up to the local governments to decide what is valid. I would think this could include whatever HOT has contributed if they want to use it in this fashion.

Laura

Laura O'Grady
laura at lauraogrady.ca