[HOT] Greetings, and a question about protocol

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 13:38:18 UTC 2016

 blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important;  padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }  I originally called us "hotties" as a joke when HOT gathered at State of the Map in Girona in 2010. HOT was small and just starting then. If the joke and endearment no longer works, let's drop it.

Mikel

On Tuesday, July 26, 2016, 9:18 AM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

​"Hi Hotties" the term grates with me as well.  However you have to remember that many are from the states where it seems such forms of address are normal.  I suspect it is to do with the fact that there aren't that many people to greet compared to other places in the world.  Coming from the UK my normal greeting might be eye contact whilst an American from a smaller town makes a much more elaborate greeting.  There are people who study these sorts of things.

>From a practical point of view anything we can do to make women more comfortable I think we should do.   When I validate I note that the average quality of mapping seems higher for mappers who appear to be female.  Whether that is because they are more motivated or not I wouldn't like to say.

Cheerio John​