[HOT] Impact of OSM/HOT in Humanitarian Aid / Economic Development

Laura O'Grady laura at lauraogrady.ca
Thu Jun 9 12:45:02 UTC 2016

Hi Stefan,

Based on my experience in order to measure this (in an outcome evaluation) you would have to build steps into the project before you start (determine the nature of the evaluation, establish which variables should be measured, how they should be operationalized, etc.).

Does MSF or UNAID not conduct their own program evaluations? Do they not need such metrics for their own purposes (e.g. funding, accountability)? Perhaps they do but these documents are white papers and for internal use only.

Laura

Laura O'Grady
laura at lauraogrady.ca

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 3:24 AM, seike at posteo.de wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> you're right, it's difficult to evaluate the impact since the data can be used afterwards in so many different ways. But what I'm interested in is the initial phase, like e.g. if MSF or USAID are implementing mapping activities together with HOT, what is the outcome of these projects? For what are they using the data excatly, how do they implement it in their workflow and so on.
>
> To evaluate the education side of the local contributers would be also kinda interesting to see
>
> Greetings,
>
> Stefan (seike_)
>
> Am 09.06.2016 00:00 schrieb john whelan:
>> I think part of the problem for this is the multiple uses made of OSM
>> maps. They might be mapped by one group but used by another and some
>> charities using them are very small and how would you measure this?
>> Including the education side of having locals contribute to the map?
>> Cheerio John
>>> On 8 Jun 2016 5:18 p.m., "Stefan Eikenbusch" <seike at posteo.de> wrote:
>>> Hello HOT-Community
>>> I’m wondering if there are any papers dealing with the evaluation
>>> of using Open Data (especially OSM) for humanitarian aid, DRR and/or
>>> economic development?
>>> Are there any plans to evaluate HOT-Activations like e.g. in Nepal,
>>> Ecuador, etc. and it’s impact on the local work for humanitarian
>>> aid workers? I think this could be kinda interesting also for new
>>> mappers to know how the data is being used.
>>> Greetings,
>>> Stefan (seike_)