[HOT] Highway=residential in Africa

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sun Jun 12 14:16:15 UTC 2016

Hi John,

Road classification, as most of us are well aware, is difficult to say the least.  My opinion is that what suggest as ‘best practice’ for remote mapping in Africa is to use this as a guide: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa

However, looking over it, I think it does need a ‘refresh’; it doesn’t even mention trunk or service tags (not even a ‘don’t use’ rule of thumb), however, I wonder if that image for primary roads doesn’t better show a ‘trunk road’.

Specifically, I think all road classification is only as good as the local community, because often you can’t tell ‘significance’ or function without local knowledge.

=Russ