[HOT] Idle thought does where we map impact where AID is given?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:26:18 UTC 2016

According to the Economist Jun3 10th 2016 edition there are 27 different
donors involved in health care in Mozambique alone.

Currently I estimate 10% of rural Africa has been mapped so do we have
multiple agencies operating where OSM maps are available rather than where
the need is greatest?

If there is an economic impact of just having a map available, and I
suspect there is should a least some HOT mapping be just highway and
landuse=residential rather than every building within a very small area?

I accept that some organisations run maperthons with low priority and much
of their mapping is done with these resources but when validating I come
across the same names time and time again, it's much more restful to
validate them than the new mappers, but these mappers map a lot more
objects than a maperthon.

As I said earlier this is pure idle thought that would need some research
to see if there is an element of truth in it or even if it can be addressed.

Cheerio John