[HOT] Idle thought does where we map impact where AID is given?

Martin Noblecourt m_noblecourt at cartong.org
Mon Jun 20 13:24:18 UTC 2016

Hi John,

I'm not sure I understand fully your point but I can confirm you that
aid organizations don't plan their operations based on the mere
availability of maps (just as all of them don't plan based on the mere
road accessibility, although this is a more important constraint...):
maps can be super useful for them to plan and implement their activities
but are not a requirement: as we all know many disaster responses NGO
haven't wait for OSM to exist to respond in these areas... Second point,
the fact that OSM data exists in a country doesn't mean all aid
organizations in the field have access to a map - far from that in fact...

So while I completely agree with the general objective of mapping large
areas with basic data, let's not underestimate the impact of detailed
mapping in areas where aid organizations and/or local governments have
the capacity to use the data to build GIS products and actually impact
their operations (epidemio, logistics, disaster risk reduction, etc.).
The organizations requesting projects in the TM are precisely the one
that are aware of the potential of OSM and that have the capacity to use
the data in the field.

Thanks for your efforts & best regards.

Martin