[HOT] Protecting girls at risk of FGM in Tanzania by mapping their villages - International Womens' Day event

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 12:35:11 UTC 2016

Hi Max, Janet,

The process for doing a mass import into OSM is pretty well defined and
it takes at least a few weeks to make it happen. The guidelines can be
seen here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

I think this project as presented is actually a very good way to get
started as it allows participation of a lot of people and helps them
understand that mapping can help in humanitarian causes.

Mass imports as we (HOT) typically do them still require human eyes on
each and every entry to help keep data quality high.

So the official process for OSM imports can be a bit of a challenge, but
it ensures that the data will be as useful, reliable and accessible to
the most people and most organizations possible and we end up with a
much better geo-data set when they are followed.

So my suggestion would be to continue with the workflow as Janet set up,
and then in the near future go through the process to set up a formal
OSM import of the remaining data that we do not get entered by hand as
part of International Women's Day 2016 project.

Cheers,
Blake

Max, you can sign up to the HOT list here: