[HOT] New mapping projects that could use some experienced mappers

Jaakko Helleranta jaakko at helleranta.com
Tue Mar 15 15:16:27 UTC 2016

Hi Pete & all,

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Pete Masters <pedrito1414 at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> some of the buildings are too difficult distinguish individually. However,
> I can see that there is a whole block of buildins. Is it ok to trace and
> tag the whole block as building=yes?

This is a recurring issue/challenge in many densely built areas. I've come
to think that in many cases they are often essentially local "row-houses"
as I've gotten to know them in Finland or townhouses as Americans would
call individual buildings that are attached to each other by their side
walls but have their own entrances -- and can even be totally independently
built over time, even decades. And for row-houses/townhouses there is an
existing tag: building=terrace , see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace .

I don't remember that it would have been discussed in the context of HOT's
mapping projects if this would be a suitable tag. But I think that
especially when the buildings in question are attached by their side walls
it's really quite clear that they are, indeed, "terrace" houses. Of course
it's not often possible to be sure from imagery if the buildings are
actually attached by their side walls or if they e.g. have (narrow)
passages/paths between them, possibly under roofs. But at least
building=terrace implies that it's (likely) not a single large building.
As it can be seen from Taginfo the tag is also used already globally
covering not only Europe and North America / other more developed areas but
also other parts of the world too.

This said, perhaps the "terrace" house tag should be included as a common
building tag in applicable HOT mapping projects?

Cheers,
-Jaakko

--
Nicaragua main mobile/WhatsApp/Telegram: +505-8131-0729, Alt. mobile
8845-3391