[HOT] Request: Suggestions for improvements to iD OSM Web Editor

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Fri May 27 02:43:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Nicholas Doiron
<nickd at codeforamerica.org> wrote:
> Related - I've been adding right-to-left language support for iD OSM editor.
> It was already translated to Arabic and Persian/Farsi, but typically sites
> flip their UI, so our main sidebar would appear on the right.
>
> We've got most technical parts done, so now we would much appreciate some
> fluent speakers looking it over. Please get in touch or connect me with
> interested mappers!
>
> Discussion and code here:
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/3087
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Doiron

Hi Nick,

Did I say that sounds great already, because it does. Thank you very much!

And thank you for all the additional suggestions from those that have
shared their pain points and ideas for improvements or changes in this
thread and in the past.

Andrew Wiseman (of Wu Tang FOIA fame :) collected them together and we
reviewed how they fit in the existing github issues. Then myself,
Mikel, Andrew and Bryan, the main iD developer,  sat down and went
over them all in detail earlier in the week.

We talked about them from various angles and it went great. There was
a lot of overlap between HOT and iD feature requests in general (which
is what you would expect really) that was already in the works or
planned to be worked on soon.

And for some of the somewhat HOT unique items, we talked about goals
of the item and what things it impacted and what other mechanisms
might address the same needs goals for the item and found some simple
things that already exist and we might just tweak to include some more
specific or general cases. We tried to think of a way to address as
many issues as possible in a reasonable and smart way if we could. And
I think we all came out of the meeting feeling like we had made a lot
of progress toward doing that.

Some things will come out sooner than others, like the imagery layer
switching is already out, But do expect some UI changes to be coming
as well, nothing major, for example a tool bar is coming to the bottom
of the screen, do not tell anyone :)

Thank you for your time Bryan, Mikel and Andrew

Cheers,
Blake

Blake Girardot
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team