[HOT] Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] Alternative imagery project 2102

Chad Blevins cblevins at usaid.gov
Mon Nov 7 14:17:57 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the note, I created task 2102 and also provided the
additional imagery service.  Unfortunately certain areas of the custom
image service are offset from Bing and existing OSM data.  For this
reason I purposely didn't load the custom service into the task, but
offered it in the instructions to supplement clouds, etc.  These tasks
are designed to get new mappers involved with OSM.  Offset imagery
significantly raises the bar of entry and can introduce data quality
issues.

I've since noticed areas with significant change (buildings, trees,
etc.) between the two images.  The service I provided is several years
newer than Bing.  This highlights one major challenge with introducing
new imagery in OSM.  It would be great if traced features were
automatically tagged with the date/year of the service used.

Before creating a custom service I check Bing for date/year, cloud
cover, and quality.  If Mapbox isn't a good supplement then I search
for other scenes from the DG archive, and do my best to find a recent
cloud free scene that aligns with Bing.  I'm open to suggestions on
the best way to proceed.

Thanks,
Chad