[HOT] OpenStreetMap data, good and bad

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Tue Nov 15 19:04:04 UTC 2016

Well said, Douglas,

         I think the key to helping new mappers,
especially at mapathons and for HOT activations,
is preparation. It's important that we have
photos, slides and other teaching materials ready
for mapathons. Luckily, much of what is needed to
teach new mappers the basics of iD is available already at learnosm.org.
         In addition, for Missing Maps or HOT
activations, I try to give context and
orientation using photos of how the area looks at
ground level so mappers know what they are
looking at in aerial imagery. Visual orientation really helps new mappers.
         I also teach basic principles of OSM:
         --If you're not sure, don't map it (with
some wiggle room in crisis situations with limited imagery). Ask for help.
         --NEVER add any map data that is not in the public domain ... NEVER
         --Use caution. Don't delete anything
unless you are sure. If you're not sure, check
with the mapathon staff or the mapper who added it
         I'm doing training for a mapathon at
UCLA tomorrow. In addition to teaching iD, I'll
give a short background session, with slides, on
the area and the social situation behind the
mapping (in this case female genital mutilation,
child brides and sexual violence in Tanzania).
         With preparation and having experienced
people available to answer questions, new mappers can do a good job.

Charlotte

At 10:12 PM 11/14/2016, you wrote:
>Dear community members,
>
>While at the
><http://i2ifacility.org/Spatial_Data/>spatial
>data workshop a few days back in Tanzania, there
>was unique feedback from some of the people and
>organisations who have used OSM data: they
>greatly appreciated the quality of the data in
>OSM: buildings, roads, and business information,
>e.t.c thanks to the Ramani Huria team, and
>community members who are doing the mapping.
>
>This <http://www.worldpop.org.uk/>data is being
>used for analysis, insight generation and maps!!
>However, the need for more quality data was also
>echoed as a very important aspect needed in all these efforts.
>
>A while back there was a discussion on new
>mappers, and generally making wrong edits to
>OSM, especially during need for maps and data in
>critical situations: considering that mapping
>for flood resilience scaled to involve new
>community members/mappers whose data is now
>proving useful, and good quality, i think we
>should always guide, understand, and help out
>any new mappers who might make mistakes, as with
>time their contributions will be helpful.
>

>Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
>Mapping Supervisor "Financial Services", Uganda
>
>Email: <mailto:douglas.ssebaggala at hotosm.org>douglas.ssebaggala at hotosm.org
>Skype: douglo.m
>Twitter: <https://twitter.com/douglaseru>@douglaseru
>UG Mobile: +256 772 422 524
>Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
><http://hotosm.org/>web |
><https://twitter.com/hotosm>twitter |
><https://www.facebook.com/hotosm>facebook | <http://hotosm.org/donate>donate

Charlotte Wolter