[HOT] Anybody has time to handhold me through untangling a task?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:29:18 UTC 2016

Aimed particularly at Majka.

I do a fair amount of validation.  I pulled in Tanzania recently and tagged
about a thousand untagged ways.  About another thousand buildings left as
area=yes.  So just doing very basic validation improves the map
enormously.  Given the size of the problem I wouldn't worry to much about
getting everything a perfect map.

Have a read through here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data

I've updated it to give some sample messages I have used to give feedback.
Note I'm not the most tactful person but the idea is not to say you did it
wrong but that JOSM validation detected, the African Highway wiki
recommends etc. The reason for this is if you give positive feedback then
you get many more tiles out of the mappers.  So try to avoid invalidating
tiles unless its a mapathon when you get swamped by new mappers who will
only map once for the most part.  If you see a new mapper, <crtl>i and
lookup the name if its less than a month they're new, not mapping in a
mapathon then its well worth spending the time giving them feedback.
They'll probably map again.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data#Messages_to_Mappers

Cheerio John