[HOT] JOSM for HOT can someone point me at a basic, tutorial?

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:17:32 UTC 2016

The French tutorial is actually very useful.  I'm working in the odd
corners of Africa at the moment.  The mappers come from all over the world
often working in maperthons.

I think my hang up is data quality so I mainly do validation these days.  I
think in the last week I've tagged over a hundred untagged ways or
area=yes, I wouldn't like to say how many highway=road I've retagged in the
last week but its in the hundreds.  Highway=road unfortunately is the tag
given to GPS tracks that have been converted into a highway where the
person who does the conversion doesn't know if there are steps in a
footpath or if its a motorway.  As a result many of routing programs will
ignore them.

Another problem is new mappers not completing a tile then other new mappers
coming along behind and copying the first mappers mistakes.  Because the
tile hasn't been completed even if there is a validator on the project it
doesn't get validated or corrected so the problems get compounded.

Actually another problem I'm seeing is all the highways within a
landuse=residential being tagged highway=residential.  Fine until you
realise that the routing software will try to avoid routing traffic down
backstreets and suddenly there is no routable path across the town.

So in some parts of the map perhaps 30% or more of the work is ignored
until its retagged and that's what I'm trying to avoid by finding ways to
make JOSM easier to use.

Blake's videos are great but unfortunately he speaks with an American
accent.  I find it fairly easy to understand but there are people in the
world whose first language is English who will have to rewind once or twice
to catch the words.  Accents are regional, believe it or not some people
even have problems with my English accent.  Looking at the mappers I'm
validating the ones with the most problems are those who use English as a
second language or even just Bing / Google translate it.  The French
tutorial is much more useful for them as they can cut and paste it into
Google or Bing translate.

On a side note I'm handholding a Statistics Canada project at the moment so
any French documentation is very useful to feed back to them.  The project
is about adding data to OpenStreetMap then doing some stats on the result.
The cultures at Stats and OSM are very different but its coming along quite
nicely albeit a little slower than their project manager would like.

Cheerio John