[HOT] OSM humanitarian mapping and its learning curve

Phil (The Geek) Wyatt phil at wyatt-family.com
Thu Oct 13 02:44:17 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,

I am a retired long time map user, occasional mapper (in QGIS, Mapinfo) and supporter of the OSM mapping project. It seems to me that the issue of poor mapping, especially for HOT projects, is coming up on such a regular basis that it's time to consider some mandatory training for users before they get to map under the HOT task manager. I don't think this would be too difficult for most volunteers and it could ensure that at least a certain level of competency is attained before being exposed to complex tasks. If people know that in the first place then they can make a choice as to whether they commence or continue to map.

I have no idea how this could be accomplished as I know little of the linkages between OSM and the HOT Task Manager, but restricting HOT tasks to those with some defined training could improve the results.

Let's say as a minimum you train folks on roads and residential area polygons - that might be level 1 (ID Editor)

Level 2 could be after training for buildings, tracks, paths (ID or JOSM)

Level 3 for validation (JOSM)

In this way HOT tasks simply get assigned at each level and you know you have the right people doing the tasks at hand. The task manager could also only highlight jobs at their assigned level until they do the next level training.

You might even consider, as part of validation, dropping people from a higher level to a lower level if they continually fail to produce results at the desired consistency.

Just my thoughts as a casual mapper.

Cheers - Phil

 <http://www.thingreenline.org.au/> Thin Green Line Supporter, Volunteer Mapper (GISMO) -  <http://www.redcross.org.au/volunteering.aspx> Red Cross