[HOT] Mapping Priorities

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Mon Oct 24 18:22:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Rod Bera <rod at goarem.org> wrote:
> Hi Cristiano,
>
> I totally agree and didn't suggest we should stop mapping in good
> intelligence until we implement a catalogue tool.
>
> We all know where priorities are.

Hi Rod,

Maybe not everyone doing humanitarian mapping response to hurricane
Matthew actually knows. And to ensure that, to me it's important that
each team communicates about their ongoing efforts based on priorities
as identified by responding organizations.

We can also set preemptive mapping priorities by analyzing areas with
older data and that appear heavily damaged in post-event imagery.
Unfortunately that is not an easy job, given the multitude of ongoing
tasks and previous mapping using different image or ground sources.

That is why I would suggest we clearly and openly (here, Skype, slack,
etc) discuss priorities so that we are all aware and coordinate,
rather than compete.

The catalog tool/index, as you suggested, should be an easy first step
to improve coordination. Would you mind drafting your proposal in
Github, so that we can keep track and discuss the idea?
https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager2/issues

Later we could also think of a complementary tool where we aggregate
requests for mapping and priority AOIs, so that it will be easier for
other teams to know where each is focusing and based on what
requesting organization.

Thank you,

Cristiano

--