[HOT] Hurricane Newton- Hitting today in Mexico (Baja California Sur and Sonora)

Andrew Buck andrew.r.buck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 02:19:12 UTC 2016

The linked task covers an enormous area, not only are the task squares
themselves very big but the bounds of the entire task are quite large as
well.  It is not going to be possible to do meaningful map coverage over
such a large area in the time in which the data would be relevant to
first responders.

Therefore we will need to focus the efforts to a smaller region to have
a more concentrated mapping effort.  According to the most recent
WunderGround blog the eye of the storm passed over the city of Cabo San
Lucas, this seems like a reasonable place to start the efforts unless
someone has a better suggestion.

Secondly, does anyone have contacts with ground personnel who might be
responding?  I know we have some contact with the Mexican government
after the previous hurricane response there, have they asked us for
anything specific?

Fortunately the damage does not seem too severe from initial reports but
it may be worth doing some mapping in the more affected areas if people
are interested.

-AndrewBuck