[HOT] [activation hotosm] AWG Meeting Summary | 6th September 2016

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Wed Sep 7 16:00:01 UTC 2016

Thank you Mhairi,

Just for clarification, I wasn’t under the assumption we are “migrating” away from Moodle. At this point that would be premature as ‘functionality’ in Moodle provides us two very important components: testing peoples’ knowledge/retention of materials and a badging/roster system. I see the GitBooks version more as our ‘content management’ – i.e. it will hopefully be easier to add, remove and enhance the content there. Once all the content is ‘ported’/duplicated in GitBooks my hope is it will be easier to ‘migrate’ content to LearnOSM and eventually we can reduce Moodle to basically just the maintenance of the Activation Roster. I also think it’s going to take some time (probably months) since those of us who attended the AWG meeting don’t have much extra time; maybe during SotM/Summit sprint time, but we’d be ‘competing’ with more interesting things happening at the conference. I was actually planning on helping validate during the MM event at SotM.

So, long story short, everyone should continue utilizing the Courses on our Moodle site (http://courses.hotosm.org) as we also have non-Activation training there and have talked about more courses for ‘staff training’ in the future. Several of the courses are already recommended training for working groups; such as the Reporting and Public Relations role courses for our Communications WG volunteers.

=Russ

Russell Deffner

 <mailto:Russell.Deffner at hotosm.org> Russell.Deffner at hotosm.org

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)