[HOT] [activation hotosm] Re: Earthquake in Tanzania and Uganda

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 17:30:55 UTC 2016

Just a quick mapping update:

We continue on the plan of building up the road network over the large
impact area of the quake, this is a roads only project.

But as Geoffrey and David continue their coordination work on the
ground, which is notoriously difficult in the first days of any
crisis, we are also detailed mapping the population areas outward from
the epicenter.

There is now a Buildings Only mapping project on the Tasking Manager
this is focused around the epicenter. This is very easy mapping,
buildings are well spaced and imagery is good.

Special thank you to Ralph Aytoun who identified much better imagery
than we had available in the standard layer, DigitalGlobe who
immediately authorized HOT/OSM to use it for this crisis and Mapbox
who is hosting it.

As always in crisis mapping, please check the project's instructions
and main page of the Tasking Manager often as priorities and mapping
projects are expected to be adjusted as more information about map
data needs comes in.

Please help spread the word:
https://twitter.com/hotosm/status/775023003658838017

Regards,