[HOT] How bad is mapping from offset imagery?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 18:20:36 UTC 2017

Florian,

I don't have answers to your specific questions, but here are some general
observations regarding the topic:
1) Project managers need to specify in the instructions which source of
imagery is to be considered positional truth, or if imagery should be
aligned to some other control (existing features, GPS traces, Strava, etc).

2) If imagery is not to be aligned with existing features, project managers
need to specify if the existing features should be re-aligned.
3) Generally one cannot simply align the imagery once, or even once per
task/tile.  The offset will vary based upon location within the square.
This is especially true where there is high relief (i.e. hilly,
mountainous), and the satellite look angles (e.g. off nadir angles) differ
significantly.
4) Specific to your question - There is no reason why Bing would be any
better than some other sources.

Mike