[HOT] Mapping buildings something to think about

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 21:50:42 UTC 2017

I've been looking at one section of Africa and tagging untagged ways and
area=yes ways.  It's a very small % of the entire continent.

So far in the last couple of days I've tagged nearly 800 buildings and I
have another 350 untagged ways to go through.

Looking at the mappers and the profiles many of these seem to be from a
number of recent building only projects.  Now these should be some of the
simplest things to map.

Missing 1,000 buildings in this area alone by not tagging them to me is
significant.  It might not be to others.

My estimate is of the buildings that are mapped 30% are not square or the
building image and the mapping are different in size.  This is a
conservative estimate.

To save my fingers and wading through the to_do list could a bit more
effort be made on the JOSM building_tool plugin front.  Jo / Polygot has a
recipe for running it from a USB stick.  It is simple to use and very
difficult to misstag.

You get more buildings out of the mappers and best of all you don't get 45
tiles on one project marked done as I've seen by a mapper who had mapped
186 buildings but managed not to tag them.

This means the project data isn't reliable and in my experience end users
like reliability. I'm not sure why, my programmers always thought that the
speed the programs ran at was more important.

Cheerio John