[HOT] Buildings and HOT's reputation in OSM

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Dec 12 13:31:18 UTC 2017

It seems like there is a need for a specialized "buildings editor". Yes
JOSM building_tools beats iD now, but how about making a new web based
editor that addresses the problems you highlight:

  * Can only enter buildings
  * Uploads (& downloads) frequently. Potlatch used to upload as soon as
you had deselected an object. OSM changesets can be opened and have many
uploads. Why not upload every X minutes?
  * Rather than free form drawing, you can only draw rectangular buildings
  * Don't allow the user over lap buildings (or auto-merge the rectangles
together)

If you know your users are doing one thing, then it's probably easier to
change the software than the users. 😉

Of course, suggesting things is easier than actually doing them, and I
don't think my JS is good enough to do it.