[HOT] [hotosm-membership] Re: Dale Kunce (OSM, OSMF and HOT US Inc president) on [OSMF] mailing list: "a viper pit of racism and misogyny"; a statement which minimally calls for answers and facts

Blake Girardot HOT/OSM blake.girardot at hotosm.org
Tue Dec 19 02:52:24 UTC 2017

Dear Friends,

Respectfully, what Dale's opinion on the state of the wider OSM
community is off topic for the HOT email list which is as
follows:

"During crisis, the HOT list supports coordination among the OSM
community (along side appropriate local country lists, and the
talk/dev lists when needed).
It is the point where disaster responders and affected people can
connect directly to members of the OSM community ready to help.
In quieter times, the list helps HOT to prepare resources and improve
its response."

The hot at openstreetmap.org email list follows the OSM guidelines for
email list etiquette ( https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette)
and demanding that an individual justify and discuss their feelings
about the wider OSM community as it relates to diversity issues across
3 large OSM community email lists really seems to be outside of those
guidelines in respect assuming good faith, staying on list topic and
not calling people out directly.

There are good, constructive, ways to discuss the important issues
Dale raises but demanding Dale justify his feelings publicly on this
email lists is just not one of them.

Let us stay on the HOT mapping and response topic here please.

Regards,
blake