[HOT] translations of learnOSM

Michael HeiƟmeier michael63 at digital-filestore.de
Tue Dec 19 12:39:45 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

for quite some time now learnOSM uses Transifex in order to manage the
translations. This proved to be successful - we actively support 18 languages
and half of the visitors access a language version other than English. I would
like to take this opportunity to thank our translators from all over the world
who made this possible. From time to time we saw requests to add another
language to the project. So far, we mostly accepted those requests without
further consideration.

Now we face the situation that there are some 48 languages registered on
Transifex but 16 of them did not get a single string translated up to now, 11
more have substantial coverage on just a few documents. We have a document on
learnOSM <http://learnosm.org/en/contribute/translator/> which explains the
translation process and provides guidelines for translators. This includes that
we need at least four documents fully translated before we can put a new
language on learnosm.org. This ensures that at least the important parts of the
beginners' guide are available in a language. Our expectation is of course that
more contents will be translated and that translators from time to time keep an
eye on updated sources and amend their translations accordingly.

I would like to mention that we will accept further requests for language
variants such as Korean (Korea) only if we can be convinced that this local
variant is important because it is vastly different from the main language.
There are not so many translators out there so we need to focus our activities.
I currently encourage people working on Portuguese (Brazil) to consider merging
this with Portuguese.

In order to clean up the Transifex interface and make maintenance easier we
would like to remove those languages which are obviously not being worked on. Of
course it will be no problem to add them again once a team of translators would
like to start working.

You are welcome to comment on this - my current plan is to remove those
languages with very little or no translation activity by the end of January 2018.

/Michael
(osm:michael63)
Chair of the HOT Training Working Group

/
/
/Languages about to be removed with no translations: Albanian (Albania),
Bengali, Chinese (Big5), Chinese (GB2312), Croatian, Danish, Esperanto,
Galician, Greek, Korean, Korean (Korea), Occitan, Swedish, Tagalog, Turkish, Urdu

Languages about to be removed with few translated strings: Indonesian, Javanese,
Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Polish, Slovenian, Swahili

Languages with contents but not sufficient to appear on the main site: Arabic,
Bengali (Bangladesh), Catalan, Kannada, Portuguese (Brazil), Ukrainian

Languages currently active on learnosm.org: Albanian, Burmese, Chinese (China),
Chinese (Taiwan), Czech, Dutch (Netherlands), English, Farsi, French, German,
Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Malaysian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
and soon to come: Vietnamese

//