[HOT] Mapping request for Harper and Pleebo, Liberia

Dale Kunce dale.kunce at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 21:22:36 UTC 2017

Jeff,
The Red Cross did a lot of mapping in Liberia (
http://www.missingmaps.org/blog/2017/01/24/west-africa-mapping-hub-end/)
and I think HOT has an upcoming project as well. As Andrew pointed out the
needed thing to map the area remotely would be better satellite imagery.
Once that is obtained the areas could be mapped in detail in just a couple
of days.

Dale

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Andrew Buck <andrew.r.buck at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The towns don't look that big so mapping them would be quite easy to do,
> however nether Bing nor MapBox has imagery of imagery of the area that
> is high enough resolution to map them.  If you can find a source of
> imagery where the license allows us to use it for tracing then it
> shouldn't be difficult but otherwise there may not be much we can do.
>
> -AndrewBuck
>
> On 02/15/2017 01:19 PM, Blossom, Jeffrey C. wrote:
> > Hello HOTOSM team,
> >

> > I'm Jeff Blossom, a GIS Manager with the Center for Geographic Analysis
> at Harvard University.
> >

> > I'm working with a Dr. Daniel Palazuelos, who is doing a long term
> health surveillance in West Africa, and has expressed the mapping need
> below:
> >

> > "The recent Ebola epidemic in west Africa  was unprecedented. Critical
> to the response at that time was accurate mapping of the most affected
> households in the most affected areas. Partners In Health is a Boston-based
> nongovernmental organization that began working in Liberia and Sierra Leone
> to assist in the disaster response at the time, but has now made a
> long-term commitment to building functioning health systems in these
> countries so that the next Ebola epidemic does not occur.
> >

> > We are looking for volunteers who can help map beneficiary communities
> in our catchment area, starting with Harper and Pleebo, Liberia.   The goal
> would then be to use these detailed community maps to create public health
> strategies where local community health workers  can perform regular
> outreach campaign to households to be sure that people are healthy, and
> connected to growing clinical services."
> >

> > What is the process to get this mapping request considered?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff Blossom
> >

> > GIS Service Manager
> >
> > Center for Geographic Analysis, Harvard University
> >
> > 1737 Cambridge St., Cambridge, MA 02138

sent from my mobile device

Dale Kunce
http://normalhabit.com