[HOT] Road deaths, tool kits and best practices

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 14:36:03 UTC 2017

In the computer world we use best practices as a method of preventing
problems.  We do things such as ensuring operating systems are updated in a
timely fashion.  In the corporate world there are lists of best practices
lying around.

Although HOT normally concentrates on medical matters, on the missing maps
side we work to prevent diseases through inoculations and drug delivery
etc. I wonder if we could do anything to address the much higher rate of
accidents per mile traveled in places such as Africa.

Locally in Ottawa the planning department uses data on the number of
collisions at various places to determine if a stop sign, or a roundabout
or a red light camera etc. is required.  They weigh the cost of the highway
improvements against the probable cost of an accident.  Someone being off
work for a period of time etc.

Could someone develop a list of best practices for the road network in
Africa or has one been done already?  It would mean developing some way of
capturing traffic accidents I assume by the local police.  Then a guideline
saying after so many traffic accidents at a particular junction per year a
stop sign is recommended.  I do not have the expertise to suggest what
measures should be taken per level of accidents.

Not something we need to map especially but once the geographic data ie the
map is drawn it becomes easier to visualize many things.

I'm thinking more in terms of a tool kit.  The Treasury Board in Canada is
working on one for Open Data and their suggested Open Data license as been
accepted by the OSM legal working group but derived licenses do need to be
confirmed by them.

"*Something we’re working on:* The Government of Canada, with Open North
<http://www.opennorth.ca/>, is currently piloting the development of a
do-it-yourself (DIY) open data toolkit for municipalities. The toolkit will
cover a range of topics, including open data governance, principles and
policy, standards, use cases, infrastructure, operations and forward
planning.

The toolkit will be publicly available on open.canada.ca, and is designed
to help municipalities initiate and accelerate open government initiatives
and service delivery while also providing new opportunities for economic
development and social innovation."

The other side of the coin is if we can show the locals there are benefits
to be had here we might even end up with a few more mappers on the ground
and that is never a bad thing.

Cheerio John