[HOT] Call for Participation in Earthquake Damage Assessment Research

Melanie Eckle melanie.eckle at hotosm.org
Wed Jun 28 14:08:11 UTC 2017

Dear HOT community,

In recent disasters, such as the earthquakes in Haiti 2010 and Nepal 2015,
disaster response organizations have been crowdsourcing the assessment of
satellite imagery to locate building damage triggered by the event. HOT is
often asked to support these efforts by helping to identify damage to
buildings and other assets in the affected region. In the past, limitations
in post-disaster imagery and difficulties in identifying building damage
from aerial views have hindered these efforts.

HOT is partnering with the Stanford Urban Resilience Initiative and Blume
Earthquake Engineering Center, for more information see project homepage
<http://urbanresilience.stanford.edu/rad-crowd/> and blog
<https://www.hotosm.org/updates/2017-06-27_call_for_participation_crowdsourced_damage_assessment>,
and other partners to research ways to improve crowdsourced imagery
analysis (see our previous blog here
<https://www.hotosm.org/updates/2017-04-26_hot_research_partnership_on_crowdsourced_damage_assessment>).

We are now launching our projects and we’d appreciate your help in testing
these crowdsourcing tools!
The questions in these tools are ongoing, so spend as much time as you can
spare. Your input will help improve building damage assessments following
earthquakes and other natural disasters!

There are three experiments in which you can participate:

Damage Ranks <http://pybossa.geog.uni-heidelberg.de/project/exp2a/>
Damage Comparison <http://pybossa.geog.uni-heidelberg.de/project/exp3a/>
Building by Building <http://bit.ly/rad-crowd-exp1> (this requires an
OpenStreetMap account)

For more information about the different surveys and background, please
also see the Call for Participation blog
<https://www.hotosm.org/updates/2017-06-27_call_for_participation_crowdsourced_damage_assessment>
on the HOT website.

To learn about your experience and improve our survey, we would appreciate
if you could provide your feedback in the user survey that is linked in the
damage assessment experiments. The consent forms for this research can be
found here
<http://urbanresilience.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Consent-Waiver-of-Documentation-RAD-CrowdSurvey.pdf>,
please contact sloos at stanford.edu if you have any related question.

We appreciate your help and thank you in advance for your contribution,

Melanie, Cristiano, Robert, Benni and Blake

on behalf of the whole project team