[HOT] Data Collection

Robert Banick rbanick at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 04:10:05 UTC 2017

Hi Gertrude,

Some quick answers

   1. I would use OMK to collect private, linked data. It’s the best tool
   available at present.
   2. Unfortunately you’ll need to manually script connections between your
   private data and public data. My friend Ewan Oglethorpe did this for a
   project here in Nepal, you can reuse his code if you like.
   https://github.com/eoglethorpe/hfh
   3. You should be able to create your own, custom survey with all the
   fields you like in OMK and ODK. You should use XLSForms to create these
   surveys as that will allow you to call osm data types.
   4. I believe conditional statements for OMK work the same as for ODK in
   XLSForms. (http://xlsform.org/)

I would also look at the OSM for Government page which discusses some of
the licensing issues:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap_for_Government

This is a problem my team at the World Bank is looking into…but resolving
it will take some time. Developing a generic solution for everyone’s custom
private data needs is not easy!

Best,
Robert