[HOT] Mapping buildings

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 21:16:25 UTC 2017

We tend to think of mapping buildings as one of the simpler tasks we ask
mappers to do but recently I've been looking at code that can extract
buildings from OpenStreetMap aggregate the floor area then calculate an
estimated population.

Trouble is when I look at the map in some areas the buildings are
accurately​ mapped but in others the standard of mapping leaves much to be
desired.  Validation is a problem.  Do we expect validators to carefully
move the four points to the correct corners and square them?  This is more
effort than remapping them with the JOSM building_tool plugin and is
unlikely to happen.  I also come a cross a large number of settlements
tagged building=yes or building=residential these I correct as I come
across them.

Round huts are a particular problem, it's very easy to copy one hut which
means they often end up being mapped the same standard size.

Perhaps if we explain why it is important to map buildings accurately in
the instructions we might get better results.

Dunno, perhaps answer is not to estimate population based on floor area.

Thoughts?

Thanks John