[HOT] Mapswipe - whats happening with the data?

Pete Masters pedrito1414 at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 26 16:05:46 UTC 2017

Hi all, late to the party, but here are my two cents...

MapSwipe, anecdotally for now, does save mappers' time. In an area where
little OSM data exists, it can target mappers' efforts where people (or
roads or rivers) exist. In the kind of rural landscapes we deal with a lot
in MSF areas of interest, this cuts down the amount of time spent
'scanning' for stuff to map significantly. And, MapSwipe users can get
through a large area super fast.

In the Sierra Leone projects we used it slightly differently. We knew that
Kenema district had been partly mapped through several other initiatives
(Ebola mapping  and the American Red Cross West Africa project for
example). We wanted comprehensive data in OSM, so we tasked the area in
MapSwipe and cross referenced the results with existing OSM data. Where
MapSwipers said 'yes, there is a building' but none existed in OSM the area
would be tasked for mapping. Where MapSwipers said 'yes, there is a
building' and building data existed in OSM, we discounted the area from the
tasking. Meaning that mappers were applying affords only where there were
gaps in the data.

I hope that is of interest. Couple of related points...

Each area is classified by three different users in MapSwipe, not four.

Paul Stewart wrote up the process for using Mapswipe to deduplicate mapping
efforts through the tasking manager
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/pjstewart1984/diary/40710

Disastermappers write here about how to access MapSwipe data and how they
process it
https://disastermappers.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/integrating-mapswipe-and-hot-tasking-manager-first-task-online/

HOT Summit presentation on MapSwipe and pybossa https://youtu.be/pRZ_mWn0Lmc

Cheers,