[HOT] Inflationary use of the mailinglist

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Mar 28 10:02:39 UTC 2017

Hi Julian,

Sorry this is happening to you. If your email is set to alert you for
every email, this would be quite an annoyance!

Some communities use mailing lists as a low-traffic annouce system, but
others use them as a web forum type thing. OSM usually uses the latter.

As well as tweaking your email client to not alert you for all messages.
You could use the NNTP/usenet interface to the HOT list provided by
gmane.org. If you have an email client like Thunderbird, it can also
function as a usenet reader. Just point it to news.gmane.org and you can
view this list at gmane.comp.gis.openstreetmap.hot. You can read and
send messages, and read all old messages. This could allow you to take
part in the HOT mailing list, without getting all the emails. This is
what I use and how I'm sending this message! :)