[HOT] Mapswipe - whats happening with the data?

Violaine Doutreleau v_doutreleau at cartong.org
Tue Mar 28 16:00:18 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Just a quick message to share my point of view : mapswipe allows way
more people to take part into Missing Maps than OSM, even though it's
not direct mapping...Anyone who doesnt't want or doesn't know how to map
in OSM can take part in this effort. That's its best advantage and where
it save mappers time...

Bests

Violaine

Le 26/03/2017 à 17:58, john whelan a écrit :
> >It's definitely useful to save actual mapper's time. For validation
> I'm not sure it would be a big help.
>
> I must be missing something.  Mapswipe uses four passes and then we
> get different sized tiles out of it.  We still need an old fashioned
> mapper to map the tile.  Traditionally if a mapper thought the tile
> size was too big they would split it to give different sized tiles.
>
> How does it save mapper time?  Does that take into account the four
> passes that mapswipe uses first?
>
> On the validation side really all you need is to inspect the tile and
> say its OK. If the tile is good enough you don't need to add
> anything.  From a practical point of view a conventional validator
> could do it in one pass provided we trusted them. You'd still want to
> run JOSM for things like duplicate segments, crossing ways etc but
> that's faster than having to do a visual inspection as well.
>
> Cheerio John
>
> On 26 March 2017 at 10:46, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com
> <mailto:winfixit at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     It's definitely useful to save actual mapper's time. For
>     validation I'm not sure it would be a big help.
>
>     Op 26 mrt. 2017 3:12 p.m. schreef "john whelan"
>     <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com <mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>>:
>
>         Would we be better ahead by using something like mapswipe to
>         validate?  If a tile is OK there is no need to add to the map
>         from the tool. If three mappers tick it then I would say its
>         good to go.
>
>         The current system we use four mappers to mapswipe, then a
>         conventional mapper to map followed by a validator.  Six
>         passes to get a validated tile.  The other way would give you
>         one in four passes three of which would be on smartphones.
>
>         Cheerio John
>
>         On 26 March 2017 at 09:01, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
>         <mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             But does it address the concern about how much effort is
>             expended compared to the value added?
>
>             Cheerio John
>
>             On 26 March 2017 at 08:44, Ralf Stephan <gtrwst9 at gmail.com
>             <mailto:gtrwst9 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>                 Search is your friend. Searching for Mapswipe yields
>                 eg http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/2521
>                 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/2521>
>                 where clearly the tiles are preselected. Also the
>
>                 Regards,
>
>                 On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 2:40 PM john whelan
>                 <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com <mailto:jwhelan0112 at gmail.com>>
>                 wrote:
>
>                     I seem to recall the same area is mapswiped by
>                     four different people before a mapper maps it.
>
>                     Other than the size of the tile or which area to
>                     give priority to I think the advantage is that
>                     people can do it anywhere on a smartphone.
>
>                     I would hesitate to say if it is worth doing or
>                     not.  In future there might be a way to bring
>                     something into OSM via a review process.
>
>                     Cheerio John
>
>                     On 26 March 2017 at 08:22, Hakuch
>                     <hakuch at posteo.de <mailto:hakuch at posteo.de>> wrote:

> [...]

Fwd: Re: Disponibilité de votre lieu pour un mapathon Missing Maps
*Violaine Doutreleau*
Coordinatrice Missing Maps
CartONG
<file:///%5C%5Cmedia%5Cviolaine%5CData%5C0.CartONG%5Cwww.cartong.org>
mobile : 06.95.02.42.44
skype : doutreleau.violaine

_P Help save paper - do you need to print this email?_

---
Cet email a fait l'objet d'une analyse antivirus par AVG.
http://www.avg.com