[HOT] Fwd: Re: landuse=residential within landuse=residential

Vao Matua vaomatua at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:10:18 UTC 2017

Nick & John,

Determining where to draw the edge of landuse=residential can be difficult.
Here in Ethiopia most of the population lives in a rural setting where they
farm areas of 1 to 10 hectares in size.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/6.9634/38.4408
There are places where people live in villages, but often dwellings are
quite dispersed.

I would suggest that an additional landuse tag would be appropriate.

landuse=rural_residential ?
landuse=agriculture_residential ?
landuse=pastoral_agriculture ?

Additionally the highway tagging needs to be updated as well.

highway=rural_residential
deprecate highway=unclassified for highway=minor_road

These are some of the topics that I am hoping will be discussed at SOTM
Africa in Kampala in July. http://sotmafrica.org/ <http://sotmafrica.org/>

Emmor Nile
(Palolo)