[HOT] OpenStreetMap Somali translation

Philippe Verdy verdy_p at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 25 22:05:04 UTC 2018

You should know that I'm increasing the basic support of languages on the
wiki, with all navigation tools, most important templates,
autocategorization, and the initial structure of categories.
Somali is in my list (along with others). "Minor" languages have been
neglected since long and I have installed some trackers to help find
occurences of pages, or those where basic translation does not work as
intended or does not display a suitable translation and only fallbacks
sometime to English.
This concerns several thousands of pages on the wiki. The more I work on
it, the more I detect new attempts to create these pages that are left
unreferenced and difficult to reach. This is a cleanup maintenance task but
it takes lot of time to do that on so many languages. Most of these
languages are still spoken by millions people, and are even official or
national languages recognized in those countries.
There's musch more on the wiki than just English, French, Japanese or
German; even Russian and the two major variants or Chinese has been partly
neglected, and Hindi and Urdu or Indonesian were completely left behind.
Laotian and Khmer as well (with some attempts to do Vietnamese).
I've done the basic work for Amharic, and already in my list of languages
to check : Tigrinya, Wolof, Zulu, Hausa, Yoruba, Swahili, Divehi, Igbo...
and of course Somali.
Note that I do not create a "Main Page" translation, but I've prepared the
"Portals" of OSM Community categories and some essential categories for
described features.