[HOT] Getting the Bounding Boxes of the Validated Regions

Serkan Karakulak sk7685 at nyu.edu
Tue Nov 20 03:44:55 UTC 2018

Hi,
I am a graduate student in a Data Science program, and I wanted to get in
touch with you because me and my two other friends are interested in
working on a machine learning project to map areas using their satellite
images and produce their labels. If we obtain a high accuracy, we thought
it could be of use to the hotosm and the missingmaps initiatives.

I have first heard about Missing Maps when I came across a mapathlon event
two years ago in Istanbul. We were in search for a class project for one of
our courses and I remembered about the mapathlon event and we would be very
happy if we could contribute to the this wonderful initiative. There are
already some previous successful works on this subject, so we are very
hopeful that we could come up with an algorithm with high accuracy.

In order to develop the model, we need to extract bounding boxes of the
validated tiles we see at hotosm. Then we will extract the satellite images
and their labels using the label-maker API which is developed by DevSeed.
Is there a method to extract the coordinates of these validated tiles?

Thank you for your time and help.

Best,

Serkan