[HOT] Flood Mapping in Djibouti - Your Help Needed!

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Tue Dec 10 01:56:12 UTC 2019

Dear HOT Community,

Currently the city of Djibouti is facing severe floods. Our partners,
MapAction, have deployed and are now in the field helping coordinate the
response with maps. Unfortunately, as with many places, there is no
existing basemaps. OpenStreetMap has good coverage for roads, but we need
your help to trace the buildings. Sorry new mappers, this is very dense and
difficult mapping, so we are restricting the first projects to intermediate
and advanced mappers. There are plenty of projects more suited to beginners
that you can get familiar with first, then we'll gladly have your help too.

UNOCHA is also helping and created the highest priority project,
https://tasks.hotosm.org/project/7446. Those who are intermediate or
advanced, please start with project 7446 and focus on the priority area, as
that has seen the worst of the flooding. Likely we will try to complete
Balbala (project 7444) next, stay tuned to the Tasking Manager for projects
and priorities!

Thank you,
=Russ

--