[HOT] Tracking vehicle movements

Rupert Allan rupert.allan at hotosm.org
Wed Jan 9 16:28:20 UTC 2019

Hi Jorieke,

Ivan has an sms-based tracker he has been developing. Advantage is that,
whilst using a gps-enabled phone, it can send without data network. It is
developed specifically for fleet.
We in Uganda track with OSMAnd, which gives analytics (slope, altitude,
speed) in the field, but it consumes battery, so needs a power feed really
(we use the motorbike battery).
 We have considered using OSM Tracker, but want to keep with simplicity by
minimising apps used, so we haven't tried it.
Above seem like some good options, too, although open source is always
preferred, of course! Check Ivan's thoughts.

Best,

Rupert

Sent on the move...
Rupert Allan,