[HOT] Tracking vehicle movements

Ivan Gayton ivan.gayton at hotosm.org
Fri Jan 11 01:10:39 UTC 2019

Hi Jorieke,

My friend Ping (in CC) and I have been working on a very lightweight
application for vehicle tracking, specifically intended to work with SMS
only (no Internet required—it sends the positions with a formatted SMS
message on a particular schedule).

Code here: https://github.com/zestyping/fleetreporter and
https://github.com/zestyping/fleetreceiver. No server needed; the system
simply relies upon a central mobile device to receive all of the rover
positions.

This is emphatically NOT for everyone, or intended to be a replacement for
stuff like traccar or gpslogger; it's specifically targeted at a small,
relatively remote project with a few cars that they want to track, where
they don't have much Internet access but there's a bit of mobile phone
(SMS) coverage.

We've piloted it in the Central African Republic, where we've had issues
with the expense of SMS messages. In CAR, the mobile networks have terribly
unreliable SMS packages (you can buy a "forfait" of 100 SMS messages for a
small fee, but the "forfait" often doesn't work and depletes the main
balance of the phone very rapidly). This may be less of a problem in other
places.

Bottom line: if the project that needs a solution has the following
characteristics:

- Poor mobile internet coverage but some SMS coverage (and SMS pricing is
reasonable and functional)
- Doesn't want to set up a server, just receive positions on a local device,

They should have a look at what we've done. Otherwise definitely look at
the GPSLogger, Traccar, or dedicated logger device options!

Onward,
Ivan

Ivan Buendía Gayton
Country Manager, Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (hotosm.org)
Tanzania
+255 76 939 7811 (phone and WhatsApp)

Skype: sardo.numpsi
Twitter: @ivangayton