[HOT] [OSM-talk] Mali

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 17:12:54 UTC 2019

I think the concerns are more to do with how do we clean it up.

The first major concern is  "Working for a mapping project with Apple."
the concern here is paid mappers and the quality of their work.

The second is there are a fair number of imports of varying quality.  Most
schools I suspect are fairly accurate but it would be nice to tie the node
to a building or an area.  Some hospitals are very definitely wrong the
node is in the middle of nowhere and yes I have checked different imagery.
This really needs local knowledge to sort out.

Much of it is HOT, highways that are mapped to the edge of the task manager
tile.  So one highway section gets mapped as track, another as
unclassified, another as path, another as tertiary as different mappers put
heir own interpretation of what the tag should be.

If some nice person could come up with an overpass that picked out large
buildings in Africa that should pick out the villages tagged as buildings.

For paid mappers I think we need a code of conduct.

I think there is sufficient infrastructure in Africa three days for local
mappers.  Smartphones are becoming more common and so is an Internet
connection albeit driven by social media.

Can we build on this?  Schools need to communicate with parents and other
schools.  This sort of implies a postal service which in turn implies names
on streets and house numbers.

My impression is there would be an economic advantage, larger cities
already have street names.  Could someone do a PhD in the subject which
might well mean a bit more government.  My personal view is some things are
best done by governments.  Highways for example.

By the way some mappers seem to be non HOT so if we can pick them out and
support them a percentage may well be local.

Cheerio John