[HOT] Mailing List Code of Conduct

Can Unen can.unen at hotosm.org
Tue Oct 20 10:22:40 UTC 2020

Thanks a lot for explaining the background of this discussion Clifford and
Mikel.

There are five talk lists from the US and four topic-specific lists that
have adopted a CoC according to the mailing lists wiki [1]. Eight of them
have accepted the US Chapter's CoC [2], while the diversity mailing list
has a different CoC specified [3]. My personal view is to accept HOT's CoC
[4] within this list as well, since it is widely adopted in al
communication channels of HOT apart from here.

I support Mikel's suggestion of a discussion within the mailing list to
decide if a CoC should be adopted in this mailing list; and if so, what
should be the governing text.

I will follow up with a poll for the mailing list in the coming days for
these discussions unless there are objections to me doing so.

Best

Can

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
[2]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States/Code_of_Conduct_Committee/OSM_US_Code_of_Conduct
[4] https://www.hotosm.org/code-of-conduct

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:06 AM Mikel Maron <mikel.maron at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A couple of days ago Mikel
>
> Actually Clifford asked me because I'm the inactive moderator of this
> mailing list, and I passed it on for discussion within the HOT membership.
>
> And yes, I don't think request for Board to approve is appropriate at this
> time. However, the discussion here could be useful for a larger discussion
> about communications and trust and safety within OSM.
>
> -Mikel

> On Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 12:22:35 PM EDT, Clifford Snow <
> clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 7:45 AM Can Unen <can.unen at hotosm.org> wrote:
> > Hello everybody, I'm writing to carry a conversation in HOTOSM
> membership lists to here, hoping to kick-off a discussion and maybe reach a
> consensus.
> >
> > A couple of days ago Mikel had asked about the governing code of conduct
> for this mailing list, and the initial thought was to assume the HOT CoC
> should be it. But the thing is, this list is operated and maintained by
> OSMF, and the Community CoC Draft and OSMF Communication Guidelines seem to
> cover the mailing list as well, but they seem to be outdated, and
> unmaintained for some time.
> >
> > Do you think a CoC need to be adopted in the mailing list, and how?
> >
> > In such case, would a consensus in the list be sufficient for this, or
> should there be a decision from the OSMF board?
>
> Can,
> I'm on the US Chapter's CoC committee. The Chapter formally adopted a CoC
> this year. US centric mailing list moderators were invited to opt in to
> having their lists covered by the CoC. If you look at wiki [1] you can see
> which lists are covered by a CoC with a link back to the CoC.
>
> I would encourage HOT to do something similar. It does not need approval
> from OSMF. Especially since OSMF only has etiquette guidelines with no
> means to handle complaints.
>
> Best,
> Clifford
>

> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
> --
> @osm_washington
> www.snowandsnow.us

*H. Can Ünen, Ph.D.*
Project Manager @Istanbul, TR
Email: can.unen at hotosm.org
Skype: canunen

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
<https://www.facebook.com/hotosm> | donate <http://hotosm.org/donate>