[Imports-us] Automated Edit Proposal, remove area=yes, and fix broken source tag in US Massachusetts

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 23:46:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

Would anybody object to just killing the source tag, and putting it on
the changeset like would be done if it was a current import. It would
save 20 megs on the uncompressed MA snapshot. I 100% agree would be
good to do, but did not propose this on the first go to avoid any
controversy.

There are two different building data sets. These buildings are from
the old data set that is called "MassGIS Data - Building - Footprints
(2-D, from 2002 LiDAR data)", it was just around Boston. The new data
set that covered the entire state is "MassGIS Data - Building
Structures (2-D, from 2011-2012 Ortho Imagery)", it was what was
imported this spring. Boston has the 2002 data set, and the rest of
the state is from 2011. I expect that they will have a third data set
in 7 or 8 years, It is probably a good idea to use the full name of
the data set. This is also why we should not be using URL's in our
source tags. They are fragile.

I don't really know when the address data is coming. Even if it was
released right now, I need to finish up the lake project (which this
is really part of in step 2), so it would sit for a couple of months.

To give people an idea of the scale of the over tagging issue in MA.
Removing just the import and attribution tags on all of the road nodes
will save about 300 megs from snapshot db size.  This is not part of
this first step, but is something that eventually, we would like to
do. We have 3,329,462 of these.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/72320345

Thanks
Jason