[Imports-us] NPS/GRSM Import: OSM file for review/comment

Thomas Colson thomas_colson at nps.gov
Mon Aug 26 16:50:26 UTC 2013

At the Import-US meeting we attended (last month?), we agreed we would cease
piece-mealing our import and would instead continue work offline, and post
our OSM file to the community to comment on. As evident by list serve
postings, there is still some discussion about how to tag, what, etc.

We hope that the community can offer some meaningful, constructive, and
tactful feedback on this park-wide OSM file. Several other parks, as well as
OSM Mappers, are eager to begin the same process themselves.

A few details:

1.       A conflict check was run just before this was uploaded. Conflicts
within the park jurisdiction were corrected;

2.       A validation was run just before this was uploaded. Errors (most)
were deal with, there remain some warnings;

3.       Bridges/tunnels are/were not included in this edit. That will be a
next step, we're waiting the results of our last bridge inventory, as we
want to include max weight with the edits;

4.       This includes the new "ranger_station" tag;

5.       We have NOT "de-noded" or simplified ways. I'd like to work with
Paul Norman on that independently, he has a good eye for that, and I'd like
to do it all at once. The trails (uploaded in 2009?) are clearly over noded!

6.       Streams/NHD are not included in this import, nor do we have plans
to incorporate local-resolution NHD into the OSM database

7.       Nps:verified has been replaced with Source:NPS

8.       Regarding the latest GNIS tag discussion, we have NOT removed any
GNIS tags..however, it would be very easy to do so, in bulk. We're in
agreement with leaving ele and GNISID.

The file can be downloaded from
https://irma.nps.gov/App/Reference/Profile?code=2202706 or searching for
2202706 at https://irma.nps.gov/App/Portal