[Imports-us] Tracking imports

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 12:58:53 UTC 2013

Folks,

I've been thinking about how we can track the various imports going
on. I've put a lot of thought into this, so it's a relatively long
email.

We really have three kinds of imports we need to track:

1. Imports working through the committee
2. Old imports that have been done in the past and are understood
3. Rogue imports, some of which may need to be addressed by the DWG

Let's break each of these types down into what they need:

1. Imports working through the committee

For imports working with the committee, we need a way to track them,
whose the point of contact for them (or points of contact), the data
source, the license, the programs used to do the data analysis, what
account will be used for upload, etc.

We need a way of tracking where in the process we are, and ideally a
way to use this information in the future when going back and
analysing a previous import.

2. Old, good imports

We have a bunch of old imports which are not properly documented on
the wiki. Unfortunately we also don't have a mechanism to edit those
changesets and add any appropriate tags (such as links to the wiki).

We should be tracking these, as least in making sure they're all
properly documented

3. Rogue imports

It seems like every time I scratch the OSM database a little more, I
see more rogue imports.

Some of these imports fit into the second category, and need documentation.

Some of the imports are made by folks who might be good importers if
given the opportunity.

And some of the imports are unsuitable for one reason or another and
should be either deleted by us, or handled by the DWG.

I've been thinking about a practical solution that will fit all three
situations.

My proposed solution (imperfect as it is) is to set up a ticket
tracking program, such as Roundup or RT, and then use as a mechanism
to track things down, and keep the wiki updated.

Ideally, I think there should be one tool that does both the
documentation part of an import, holds the original data, has a
searchable index, etc. but I started such a tool a few years ago, and
it was quite an undertaking, and I think we need something right now.

I'm really interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

- Serge