[Imports-us] United States Bicycle Route System

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Jun 1 11:33:02 UTC 2014

Greetings Import Community,

The USBRS has been being "imported" into OSM since at least May 2011,
when A Particular User Who Is Now Banned created USBR 20 in Michigan.
In short, a mess was made, but now there is no mess:  it is beautiful.

For between one and three years, I have endeavored to clean this up,
channeling our national consensus of bicycle routes in the USA into
OSM.  Recently, this was characterized as "an import."  I am left
with little choice but to accept that decision, though I remain
confused as to how that decision was arrived at, as I (and many
others now) simply enter into OSM what is before our very eyes.
These data are perhaps two to a few dozen route relations in OSM,
depending on how you count (super-relations, proposals...it is a
bubbling brew and I am not putting my finger on an exact number at
this instant).

So, as any good OSM citizen should when smacked upside the head like
so, I now endeavor to follow Import Guidelines.  This feels new (this
list has only been here since 2013).  This feels foreign (I've never
posted here, though I have politely read this list since its
inception).  This includes posting here.  As I say, Greetings.

There is now the requisite one-line entry in the Import/Catalogue
which I believe states what it must.  The USBRS is the network of
national bicycle routes in the USA.  You can read about how and by
whom via those links.  The organization (AASHTO) is the same one that
designates Interstate highways in the United States of America,
and/or AASHTO designates Adventure Cycling Association as their proxy
and/or partner.  Ultimately, these (routes) are being stated by the
People of the 50 states.

Import Guidelines appear to have five steps to check off.  I think
we're done with 1, 2, 3, 5 and with this post I'm trying to lick the
last stamp on 4 (Import Review).  I could be wrong about being
complete, and if I am, I humbly ask to be steered gently to any
required correction.

OK, has everybody got all that?  Are we done?  Thank you.  I'll
cheerfully answer any questions.

Steve All
Acting "coach" on WikiProject_U.S._Bicycle_Route_System (though it is
an endeavor by many)