[Imports-us] County Road name expansion

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Jun 11 20:37:03 UTC 2014

On 6/11/14 4:33 PM, Mike N wrote:

>   If you are very familiar with the naming conventions in the
> organizations which assign the names, a regex might be the best
> solution for you.  Of course everyone is afraid of an accidental
> expansion of "County Road W" to "County Road West", but you may be
> able to quickly confirm locally that no single-letter road names are
> assigned.

the first bot, run mostly west of the mississippi river, did actually
commit a similar error in some cases.
in Nevada, IA, which has lettered streets, it carefully skipped A
through D streets while expanding
E Street to East Street, and so forth. the later bot, the one Serge
wrote, took care to avoid making
this mistake.
>   A related issue that you might already be addressing is that the
> addr:street value should match the road name for Nominatim to work.
> I wouldn't necessarily expect it to match without the same "County
> Road West 50 South" in both.

yes, getting them to match should be the goal, not just for
Nominatim, but for data consumers everywhere.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search