[Imports] OSM data import

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:49:41 BST 2009

2009/8/26 Niran Beharry <nbeharry at citsas.com>:
> Good Day,
> I was searching the OSM mailing list and i got your email there. I'm from
> Trinidad and Tobago, I have all the Street Map Data as well as some others
> for buildings and the like in ArcGIS shp file format. Are there any tools
> that would allow me to import that information into OSM ? I was intrested in
> doing an open server for users here but I figure licesening the data for OSM
> will be to the greater benefit of the overall community. If you can provide
> and pointers or assistance as to where to proceed it would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Best Regards,
> Niran
>
> --
> Managing Director
> Caribbean Interphase Technology Systems and Services (CITSAS)Limited
> 3 Freeling Street
> Tunapuna, Trinidad & Tobago
> Telephone +1 868 782 9995
> Website  www.citsas.com

Thank you for the offer of data for the project. Provided it is in a
licence suitable for the project, there should be no reason why it
cannot be imported.

I personally have very little experience of converting shp files into
the OSM format, however I'm confident that others on the imports
mailing list (copied in) may be able to help.

As far as I can tell, there are currently 3 different conversion tools
for shp->osm, each will need some configuration so the converted
features are tagged correctly.
All are documented to a varying degree here -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shp2osm

Once a .osm file has been created it can be uploaded to the database
using a tool such as bulk_upload.py

Feel free to reply with any further queries.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood