[Imports] TMC LCL - automatic script

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 14:05:03 GMT 2009

2009/11/10 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>

> Isn't that the purpose of having the 'is_in' tag?
>
> For Canada, we have attached to each road the 'is_in tag, so it shows
> exactly where it is.
>
> However, I would agree that if all the roads in that suburb area all have
> that same tag, it's kind of redundent.
>    I think it is because we dont (at least not yet) have that polygon to
> work with, so thats why it was added.
> However, NOW in Toronto (for example) we DO have those admin areas as
> polygons. (available, but not imported yet)
>
> Would it not be then a relation which is attached to everything in the
> area, where that polygon (its self) does not get rendered?
>
> (this topic was discussed before, does anyone remember what the verdict was
> on it?)

is_in is evil. Honestly, it has no real purpose once you have administrative
areas as a polygon. Once you have a geometry, it is trivial to know in which
area you are once it is there. You can then perform some very easy pre
calculation (whether database based, or library based (geos, gdal)).
You don't need relations for things as trivial as this. There is no need to
make things more complicated than they already are.

Emilie Laffray