[Imports] [Talk-ca] Modifying GeoBase Ways.

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 17:40:29 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My reasoning is
>> that we don't store attribution for normal contributors on the
>> geo-features, so we should be consistent with imports. When a
>> contributor creates a new way we don't add tags to the way to say who
>> contributed it, so I don't think we should add attribution tags to
>> ways etc for imports.
>
> Really ? but for personal contributions, the attribution is already
> attached to all elements with the "user" and "uid" fields. Is that not
> attribution ?

Um, that's just a display. You'll notice you don't add tags to achieve that.

> Here in France, many contributors use the French cadastral WMS (land
> registry) and the attribution is a legal obligation in this case. If
> we don't add a tag but only move it to the changeset, it will
> disappear to all exports.

It'll disappear if I remove the tag from the way. Is that then illegal data?

> I agree that a tag "source" to all created
> elements is not the best solution and I would like to find a better
> one, but we cannot make the attribution invisible.

My intention isn't to make it invisible, just to find a better
mechanism than using tags. In a similar way to uid and user fields, we
could (if decided) add the contents of the "attribution" tag from the
latest changeset too.

Cheers,
Andy