[Imports] Toronto, Vancouver, & Edmonton data terms of use

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 01:49:44 GMT 2010

I am inquiring about data provided by the cities of Toronto, Vancouver, and
Edmonton -- all essentially have the same terms of use, almost word-for-word
-- and want to identify what the specific problems are with the terms of
use.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/open_data/open-data-terms-of-use.aspx
http://www.toronto.ca/open/terms.htm
http://data.vancouver.ca/termsOfUse.htm

The problems that I see include:

* "If you distribute or provide access to these datasets to any other person
..."
* "Upon the request of the City, you may be required to remove a credit from
future uses..."
* "You assume sole responsibility for your use and reproduction of the
datasets and for complying with all applicable laws and industry standards."
* The entire "Liability for Not Complying with Terms of Use" section of the
terms
* The "Cancellation for Non-Compliance" section
* No Waiver section
* I'm also not sure about the governing law and jurisdiction part

For comparison, see the terms of use for data from the DC (Washington DC)
government, which we can import: http://data.octo.dc.gov/TermsOfUse.aspx

I know a bit about licenses, but not 100% sure about this.  Are any of the
above, in fact not a problem for us?  What additional problems are there
with the terms of use?  Can anyone elaborate on the points above and advise?

Regards,
Katie

--
Katie Filbert