[Imports] Vancouver campus data

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:03:59 GMT 2010

On 26 March 2010 09:46, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 1) Should the source tag be used on every node/way(that has other tags), or
> just on the changesets?

I'd use the source tag on the highest level features, i.e. if a node
belongs to a way or relation then I'd only put the source tag there
and not on the node, same for ways and relations that are members of
other relations.  This should be enough for another mapper who comes
along and wonders if his data is of better accuracy to be able to tell
the source.

> 2) Most layers imported I think will be none or few existing data, but some
> (like bicycle_parking) will have a fair few duplicates.

The normal thing to do is load the new file into JOSM, load existing
data from OSM onto the same layer or a separate layer, then remove
duplicates, merge tags etc etc. (for example your imported data for a
building may have way better geometry, but fewer attributes such as
name, height, access, so copy the tags onto the imported shape and
remove the original building).

Then merge the two layers and upload.  If the imported file is too big
to load into JOSM, split it with osmosis.

Cheers