[Imports] [ANNOUNCE]: Land Information Ontario - WMS Layers now available

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 13:39:37 BST 2010

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to announce that the Land Information Ontario - From the Ministry
of Natural Resources Ontario has WMS service.  (Actually they have has this
for some time, but i didnt get around to setting it up... and knowone beet
me to it :)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Land_Information_Ontario

I put a note on it that it's probably better to be using the Toporama WMS
(from Natural resources Canada) as i'm finding that the quality is a bit
better. Here's the direct link for JOSM

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?LAYERS=limits,vegetation,builtup_areas,designated_areas,hydrography,hypsography,water_saturated_soils,landforms,constructions,water_features,road_network,railway,populated_places,structures,power_network,feature_names&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image/png&

However, there are many features from Land information area available, so
its a good idea to go though it all & see what's there.  If anyone is
skilled at making nicer maps with whats available, that would be great.

http://www.lio.ontario.ca/wmsconnector/com.esri.wsit.WMSServlet/wms_infrastructure?VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&FORMAT=image/png&SRS=EPSG:4326&STYLES=&LAYERS=AIRPORT_AIRSTRIP,NTS_POWER_NETWORK_LINE,RAILWAY_SEGMENT,NTS_RAILWAY,ROAD_SEGMENT_NAMES,ROAD_SEGMENT,ROAD_600K,TRANSPORT_POINT,NTS_TRAIL,TRAIL_SEGMENT,TRANSPORT_LINE,UTILITY_LINE,ROAD_SEGMENT_1MILLION,ORN_LOCAL,ORN_COLLECTOR,ORN_ARTERIAL,ORN_HIGHWAY,ORN_FREEWAY,ORN_SEGMENT,OTN_TRAIL_SEGMENT,OTN_TRAILHEAD&

I'd also recommend using the map.server WMS that James Dupont has created
(before i knew that Ontario had WMS), as this one is in a black background
and easy to follow. (that is just trails)

So i need to thank Adam Dunn who showed me how to make these WMS links,
otherwise it would have been forever with me trying to figure it on
 my own :)

I also called Land Information Ontario Directly (on the phone yesterday) to
get some questions answered here's the notes i took down:
- The road network is the same as the geobase file.   (i havent been able to
pull that feed, but it should be available) they are planning on using the
NRN format (in the next couple years)
- for the rivers & water body, what you see on the WMS is a good as there
is, they are planning on going with the NHN format.  & will update their
source files with that
- the source data from the WMS is about 2 days off from real-time.  So as
data gets sent to Land Infomation Ontario, a few days to process it and it's
available, just as the .shp files are available
-it's technically possible to get a WMS feed from all the different trails
types (for example listing just the surfaces) details are int he
get.capabilities .xml file.   (If anyone knows how, please add the details
to the wiki)
-there are the 7 categories of information with separate WMS feed for each
group of data.  That's because making 1 full WMS would be rather complex.
-there is this soloution called 'make-a-map'   it's very similar to the
Natural Resources Canada service where you can view the data from the
web-interface.  This is handy to see what the Legend is (what all the
colours/line types/symbols) are on the WMS Layer
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LIO/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_167954.html
-i asked about post-code boundaries, maybe StatsCan would have WMS? (or one
could be made from source data)?
-and for StatsCan road names, it would be great to have a WMS layer for it,
even though the geometry is off (but toporama covers for that)

-It depends on the application that the data is being used, since this
dataset is designed for a provincial level, it wouldn't be as detailed as
the Regional or City level.   So the best method is to use a mix of all of
the other sources available (GeoBase WMS / Toporama / Land Information
Ontario WMS)
-North of Algonquin park is less detailed (for alot of the feature) than
southern Ontario

-and if anyone has questions, the staff was helpfull on the phone
(unfortunately, i forgot what the name of person i was talking to was :(
please report back to this list of your findings.   The Land Information
website is jam packed with details.  And if anyone needs website access, i
have already downloaded the shp files from the data warehouse. so it would
save you needing to sign the Licence Agreement document)

So overall, it's best to; set up in josm a layer for each of the WMS feeds
available, then swap between each as you go along.  (It may take some time
for the tiles to load, at least it does for me)

And finally, regarding that direct import of these features.   I'd recommend
just going ahead and tracing & adding in map features (treating it as we do
with Imagery).   If we end up putting all of the canvec .osm files over on a
designated imports.API  we may need to use a different API directory to
store all of this Ontario information. Since there will be lots of
overlaping information.   Thats why im recommending that everyone uses the
ToporamaWMS & GPX tracks and local knowledge as well as the .osm files. As a
mix of all of these options, it should make it more open to the majority of
users, so more people can be helping.

And a final note that i'll tack on here, GeoBase DOES have WMS service which
would include the rivers in good detail (slighly better than CanVec) if
anyone knows how to put it all together, that would be of great help.

That's all for now,
Cheers,
Sam

Twitter: @Acrosscanada